Use this sales assessment to guide learning, support career development, conduct training needs analysis and evaluate competence.
Complete this 30-statement sales assessment in 5 to 10 minutes.
The results are presented at the bottom of this page in real time.
Rate your sales skills, or anyone else's by scoring aspects of sales competence.
Use the validation questions to check sales assessment scores.
Identify strengths and weaknesses, opportunities and vulnerabilities.
Use the feedback to guide learning, select training, plan study, and drive development.
Sales Assessment Instructions:
Score yourself or anyone you know well on each of the sales assessment fact and knowledge statements below. Enter a score between 1 and 10 in the adjacent boxes.
Score the degree of truth in each statement.
For example, score high if you can already teach others how to accomplish the thing expressed in a statement. Enter a middling score if you can think of a few ways to achieve the outcome. Give yourself a low score if you are unsure how to get the thing done or achieve the result.
Answer the validation questions in your mind to check the accuracy of your self-assessment score.
Make the score reflect reality.
The data is not recorded so you only have yourself to mislead.
Your total score and a chart showing your strengths and weaknesses will be updated in real time at the bottom of the page.
Expert Products - Services - Solutions:
1. I have expert knowledge of my organisation’s products, solutions, and services.
What evidence could you offer to verify your self-assessment score?
2. I know what my organisation’s important customers must do to succeed in their business or purpose and how we contribute to their success.
For the customer you know most about, can you describe what they must do well to succeed in their business and how your organisation contributes to their success?
3. I understand how my organisation’s products, solutions, and services are different from competitive offerings and I can explain each difference in two or three sentences.
Can you say how your organisation’s primary products, services, or solutions
4. My sales emails, letters, and sales proposals are very convincing and effective at persuading those I have not met to support buying from us.
If asked to advise a colleague how to write winning proposals, what advice would you offer?
5. I am a very confident presenter and could give an impromptu ‘stand up’ product, solution, service presentation at a prospect’s board meeting, with five minutes notice.
If asked, what advice would offer others on delivering a board-level customer presentation?
6. I am very good at explaining and presenting the bottom line contribution or fiscal value that my organisation’s products, solutions, or services create for customers.
Can you think of three examples of the value that what you sell has created for customers?
7. I know that the mind filters information for what we want to hear. I counter this tendency and listen attentively when I need to. I use specific techniques to enhance my listening skills.
What techniques do you use to listen attentively?
8. I have very good questioning skills and find it easy to obtain sensitive and even confidential information from customers and colleagues.
How would you use questions to encourage disclosure of sensitive or confidential information?
Communicator People Reader:
9. I am very good at reading people from their circumstances, surroundings, appearance, communication, and online presence.
What indicators you would look for to assess personality, background, character and circumstance?
10. I understand the factors governing people’s first impressions of others and actively use this knowledge to create a positive impact through the first impressions that I leave with new people I meet.
What are the top five things that you do to create a good first impression?
11. I am conscious of the nonverbal communication that I project in conversations and I take care to ensure that it is consistent with the things I say and the messages I want to convey.
What are your main strategies for managing your non-verbal communication?
12. I understand how to quickly gain rapport with other people and habitually use my knowledge to increase harmony with the individuals and groups I interact with.
What are the main things that you do to build rapport with people in sales situations?
13. I know how to persuade other people to change their minds and adopt a different point of view and I use my knowledge to help people achieve what they want to achieve.
How would you try to change someone's opinion about something?
14. I am very effective at influencing the actions of other people and can persuade them to do things that they do not want to do.
What would you say or do to persuade someone to do something they did not want to do?
15. I find it easy to have others do things for me or get help, time, and resources when needed.
What do you do or say to get resources, time, or help from others:
Door Opener Prospecting:
16. I usually have enough sales leads and prospects to work on and know how to find more easily, if I need to.
What do you do when you don’t have enough leads and sales prospects to work on?
Door Opener Engagement:
17. I achieve a high success rate when approaching senior executives to initiate a sales conversation.
How do you achieve a high success rate when approaching senior executives:
Door Opener Networking:
18. I have a large network of customers, suppliers, business partners and other professionals. I usually find that someone in my network is connected directly or indirectly to those I want to reach.
How often do you find someone in your network who is connected to a person you want to reach?
19. I am very good at recognising and qualifying sales prospects based on public and published information that can be gathered without contacting them directly.
What information do you look for to qualify sales prospects before you contact them?
20. I know how to assess the likelihood of winning any particular sales opportunity and sometimes qualify out of a sale because we would have a slim chance of success.
What questions do you ask to assess the likelihood of winning a sales opportunity?
21. My sales forecasts are usually more accurate than those of my peers and are normally within plus or minus 20% of my sales results.
What actions would you take if you had to improve your forecast accuracy?
22. I know how to find out which competitor or solution is a customer’s preference and I know how to change the customer’s preference when necessary.
How would you discover a potential customer's preference if they declined to declare it and what would you do to change their preference, if it was for a competitor?
23. I know the signs that indicate when buyers are ready to make a buying decision and take advantage of my knowledge to close sales.
What are the signs that a potential customer is ready to make a buying decision?
24. I know how to maximise customer satisfaction and our retained profits through effective negotiation and I use my knowledge to good effect.
If asked, what negotiation preparation guidelines, rules, and advice would you offer?
25. I prepare thoroughly for all important projects, conversations and meetings.
List the things you do at the start of a sales year to ensure you achieve your annual target:
26. I anticipate the threats, challenges and opportunities that I will face in my work and plan how to deal with them in advance.
If you were forced to accept a 50% increase in your sales target 6 months
27. I use a multi-stage sales process to guide my actions, shorten the sales cycle, and progress sales opportunities.
What are the stages in your sales process and what criteria do you use to determine when a sales opportunity moves into each stage:
Problem Solver Solutions:
28. I find it easy to come up with solutions to difficult problems.
What has been the most difficult work problem you have faced and how did you solve it?
Problem Solver Methods:
29. When the solution to a problem isn’t apparent, I use a variety of methods and techniques to find a way forward.
What are the techniques and methods that you use to overcome obstinate problems?
Problem Solver Prophet:
30. I am very good at estimating, anticipating, or predicting the outcome of a series of actions, or the output of systems based on known or estimated inputs. I am often able to predict what will happen because of a given event or set of events.
What aspects of your competence enable you to predict what will happen in the future?
|Total Sales Assessment Score|
Sales Assessment Score Guide
If your total score for the sales assessment is over 250, could you have been overly optimistic in your assessments? Whatever your scores, the chart reflects strengths and weaknesses. Working on strengths can be very rewarding. Weaknesses can sometimes be ignored if they are not causing lost business or others to perceive incompetence.
Don't leave it here. Decide your next steps. Action is the key to all progress.
Here are some suggestions:
- Decide what you want to improve and make a plan. How to Get Better at Anything
- Review our sales skills and techniques articles.
- Set up a regular coaching arrangement. Sell 13% More with a Coach
- Get this assessment in a convenient PDF document together with over 100 hyperlinked workplace actions that strengthen strengths and address weaknesses: Sales Professionals Toolkit
- Buy a copy of the Sales Professionals Toolkit for everyone on your team. Ask about volume licences.
- Set up a monthly team discussion on ways to get better, faster than competitors.
- Schedule a call with Clive Miller, the assessment author for an informal (free) or formal review.
- Have us provide an assessment grading or validation service. Assessment Grading
- Take our Build a Professional Sales Career course to strengthen strengths and address weaknesses. Take the whole course or any part of it through one-on-one sessions or join a scheduled event.
No data entered on this page is recorded so if you want to keep your scores, save the chart to your device. For PC's, right-click on the chart and select save-as. For mobiles, take a screenshot.
If you have found this sales assessment useful, add a comment below to encourage others.
- Sales Skills Assessment
- Sales Staff Appraisals
- Development Guidance
- Training Needs Analysis
- Interview Preparation
- Sales Staff Selection
- Career Planning
Sales Assessment Aspects
- Door Opener
- Deal Maker
- Problem Solver
If you are looking for a sales assessment or a way to conduct a sales training needs analysis, this assessment offers a readily accessible solution. For coach validation, assessment facilitation, or sales training services, telephone +44 (0)1392 851500, send an email to email@example.com or use the contact form here.